Monday, July 21, 2008

Planes, trains and........beer

So I'm FINALLY in Germany!!! I was up for about 31 hours, not my record but still close, one point for me! The trip over was very good, everything went well, my flights were on time except for the one from Chicago to Frankfurt was almost 2 hours late because we had to wait for another flight from LA to get in because other people needed to be on my flight since that was the only one of the day going to some places. It didn't matter because I had a 3 hour lay over in Frankfurt already and that knocked some waiting time off!

When I landed in Zurich Colin met me at the airport and we went around Zurich. It is a very nice town and the weather was wonderful. The sun was shining and it was nice and warm. We walked around for about 3 hours and covered lots of ground.
This is a view of Zurich from the bell tower of a church we looked at, the way up consisted of 170 stairs.



We went back to the train station around 1:00 and were told to get on a different train that what we needed. An hour later we were at the end of the line and NOT in Konstanz!!!!!! After getting things sorted out with one of the workers and a few transfers later we arrived in Konstanz. Check out Colin's blog for some pix of the stop, the link is in the first post.

When we got back to Colin's house we had dinner......slightly burned pizza and wine. Colin had to go to dinner with his Arabic class and pawned me off to two of his friends. They told me we were going to a beer garden......SWEET! The beer was great, the atmosphere of the garden was great and it was fun to hang out w/them and see some of Konstanz.

The next day (Sunday) we went on a four hour train ride to Augsburg to stay with his relatives, Anita, Herman and Rolf. They are very nice and have treated us very well. After we arrived, Herman and Rolf took us to a beer tent. The tent was so fun and pretty big. Herman ordered us a mass of beer. I wasn't sure what that was at first but when they brought it out I knew. A mass is 2 Liters of beer! Along with the beer I had a brautwurst and sauerkraut, it was sooooo good! We went to two more bars after that and had some more beer.

Today we walked around Augsburg and went sight seeing. Augsburg is a very beautiful city. We went to the city hall, some churches and the oldest social home in the world. We just got done eating dinner. Anita prepared some sauerkraut just for me! I don't think I've had this much kraut in my life! It was so good.

Tomorrow we leave for Dubrovnik, Croatia at 11:30 for 5 days. Sorry for the lack of pictures, Colin's computer is low on power and he still needs to update his blog tonight possibly. I promise I will have more pictures in my next few blogs! Make sure you check his blog out too, he's got a good picture of us at the beer tent!

I hope everyone is doing well back in the States!

2 comments:

Paul Halverson said...

Hey Cody - I knew you'd like Hermann, Anita and Rolf! They sure know how to treat their guests! I also figured you would like the beer in Augsburg.
Have a great trip to Croatia!

Catherine said...

31 hours in transit. Ugh.
By now you are rested, though (especially after that good care you received in Augsburg!), and I assume you are on a train on the way to Split, Croatia.
I bet it will be amazing.
I am excited for photos!
Enjoy Croatia!