Monday, July 28, 2008

Uff Da! Lots to catch up on!

Howdy children and non-children! Looks like I've got a lot of updating to do for you since it's been a while since my last post and I bet you all thought I fell off the face of the earth! Well, since my last update Colin and I left for Dubrovnik Thursday. We had the luxury of riding a crowded bus for just over 6 hours. The trip from Dubrovnik to Split only days earlier was 3.5 hours....kind of a BIG difference! The reason it was longer was because we didn't know that the bus was going to go through every single small town along the coast and be the shuttle between towns. It was bad enough that the bus was already crowded w/people sitting, then we had people in the aisles for about 3 or 4 hours of the trip.

We ended up driving through Bosnia and we had a 20 minute break to stretch out, which was VERY nice! Since we were traveling through a small section of Bosnia we were only in it for a little bit, BUT.....that's one more country to add to my list of places I've been! 4 Countries in 8 days, that's pretty good! Anyway, We finally arrived in Dubrovnik around 5 ish and took a taxi to our hostel. We had our own room (which was not pink), bathroom and, the best part, our own BALCONY that looked at the mountains!


If you look at the bottom right side you can see a fenced in soccer area. This provided some good entertainment for both of us when we wanted to relax. The kids who would play were hilarious to watch!


We decided to wander around some of the streets near our hostel since it was only 7. While exploring, we found a small food stand on the sidewalk called "Fast Food Heidi's". We decided to try one of their cheeseburgers and see how they compared to McD's. When the guy brought our burgers to us we were surprised. The burgers were much bigger than we expected! They had tomatoes, shredded lettuce, red peppers, some kind of red sauce and some kind of mayo. DELICIOUS!

That's how big the burger was. I wear a size 10.5 sandal.

The next two days we went to the city center to look at Dubrovnik Castle. The lady who ran our hostel said we were only 10 minutes away. Turns out 10 minutes in Croatia = 32 minutes real time. Quite a bit longer than we thought! Even though it was a hot walk, the breeze from the sea was very nice. Thank you Adriatic Sea!

Colin and I both enjoyed seeing the castle and walking around the castle walls. The walk maybe took over an hour to do, but it was so nice and there was so much to see from up there. Walking along the streets of the castle was also very nice.
I'm having some trouble uploading more photos of the castle and everything else I wanted to show you so this on will have to do for now. I'll put some up very soon if I can get online again. Tonight Colin and I are going to an Irish pub with some of his friends for 2 for 1 burgers. I'm excited about that. I hope life is going well for everyone, see you all soon!

1 comment:

Paul Halverson said...

Dubrovnik looks beautiful! Like it was worth the 6-hour bus ride! I'll bet that bus ride gave you a bunch of interesting stories - and you even got to Bosnia! Even though it made the ride much slower, was going along the coast more scenic?
Well, we'll be seeing you guys in just 2 more days! Have a great trip home!